Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found these at Good Things Catered.
For the cupcakes
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup apple preserves
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
For the frosting
- 7 ounces pure white chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- food coloring (optional)
- colored sugar sprinkle, and decorating pens (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Toss the apple with the flour mixture. (This will help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin tins.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the apple preserves, granulated sugar, brown sugar and oil.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, stirring with a large wooden spoon until just combined.
- Fill the muffin tins about three-fourths full.
- Bake until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes for regular sized muffins, less for mini.
- Transfer the tins to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the tins and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt the white chocolate, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let stand until just warm to the touch.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until smooth and blended.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat again until smooth.
- Use the frosting immediately, coloring it as desired.
- Spread 1 to 2 Tbsp frosting over each cupcake and decorate with colored sugars and decorating pens if desired.