1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
Wonderfully delicious coffee cake. If you use a glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (1 pound total)
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh orange juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the Vanilla Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour a 9-inch round springform pan or a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan or baking dish.
- 3To Make the Cake: In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4In another bowl, toss the apples with the juice.
- 5In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cardamom and cinnamon.
- 6Add to the apples and toss to coat.
- 7Set aside.
- 8In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 9Add the flour mixture in 2 or 3 additions and beat well until smooth.
- 10Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the apples just until evenly distributed, no more than a few strokes.
- 11Do not overmix.
- 12Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- 13Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes.
- 14To Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, the 2 tablespoons milk and the vanilla until smooth and pourable.
- 15Adjust the consistency of the glaze by adding more milk, a few drops at a time, if needed.
- 16Remove the sides of the springform pan, if using, and place the cake on a wire rack set over a piece of waxed paper to catch any drips.
- 17While the cake is warm, drizzle with the glaze.
- 18Let the cake cool to room temperature.
- 19Cut into wedges or squares to serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Apple Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.2
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 91.6 mg
- Sodium 198.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
skimmed condensed milk