Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious moist apple cake, one my mother used to make for morning tea. Really quick and easy to throw together.
- 2 sliced apples (don't peel unless skin is tough)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Mix sugar and apples in a large bowl and leave to sit for a few minutes.
- Blend melted butter and egg into apple and sugar.
- Sift in dry ingredients, along with sultanas and walnuts.
- Pour into greased tin and bake at 180C for 45-60 minutes.
- If you haven't got all the spices you can use mixed spice and cinnamon.
- You can dust with confectioners sugar if you wish.
Like a previous comment I lost the recipe for over 12 months - could not remember which apple cake it was, but having found it again I will rate it. This was a lovely moist, spicy tasting cake...even DH who is not a "spice" person loved it...now that I have found it again, I will definitely be making it again. A keeper.
This was very good, I made it a while ago but lost the recipe so I couldn't review it .. I'm glad I found it again, I'll be making it soon .. thanks
Made this for morning tea, to take into work. Everyone LOVED it and requested that I make it again. It is a very stiff mixture but bakes moist and tasty.