When making waffles, consider making extras to freeze for another day. To serve later, unwrap them from their freezer bag, preheat oven or toaster to 375°, and warm the waffles for about 3 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (or freshly grated nutmeg) or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (or freshly grated nutmeg)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- unsalted butter, softened
- real maple syrup, warmed
- 1In a large mixing bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together.
- 2Pour in the melted butter and stir until it disappears.
- 3Stir in the buttermilk, egg yolks, molasses, vanilla, and apple.
- 4Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until stiff but still glossy.
- 5Heat a greased waffle iron; fold the egg whites into the batter.
- 6Cook waffles one at a time, following the directions from the waffle-iron manufacturer.
- 7They should be crisp and brown when done.
- 8Serve the waffles individually as they are ready or hold them briefly in a warm oven until all are finished.
- 9Serve with softened butter and warmed maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Apple Buttermilk Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.4
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 155.8 mg
- Sodium 918.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 13.5 g