Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in the middle of oven.
- Spray the bottom only of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a big bowl, add cake mix, egg, oil, and 1/2 cup of the apple butter; blend 1-2 minutes with an electric mixer set on low speed until well blended.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened cream cheese, remaining 1/2 cup apple butter, and cinnamon with mixer set on medium speed.
- Beat in powdered sugar until frosting is fluffy.
- Spread frosting over cooled bars; cut into bars.