Recipe by Nursebarb
This apple butter is made a little differently in that it is baked for several hours - makes the house smell heavenly. I have tried other recipes, but my family (my mom and 25 year old son, especially) keep asking for this one. I can never keep enough on hand. This recipe takes a while, but it is worth it. You may need to bake longer than the recipe calls for - just bake until the right consistency. I usually use 1/2 granny smith apples and 1/2 any other red apples.
- 5 lbs tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered (about 12 cups)
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, bring apples and cider to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Place steel blade in food processor, add 2 cups of the apples (with liquid -DO NOT DRAIN!). Process until smooth and transfer to 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Repeat with remaining apples and liquid, processing 2 cups at a time. Stir sugar, cinnamon and cloves into apples.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 2-2 1/2 hours or until thick when spooned. Stir every half hour to prevent edges from overcooking (IMPORTANT!). Fill sterilized jars and process in water bath for 15 minutes.