Janine Ross's Note:
A delicious, light dessert for either summer or cooler days. The butterscotch sauce adds a different touch, making it special. From Notebook magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 g butter
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 90 g sultanas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 250 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 55 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1To make the apple filling, melt butter in a frying pan over high heat. Add apples, sultanas, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar, and cook tossing occasionally for 5 minutes and set aside to cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C Use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese, caster sugar and lemon rind until well combined.
- 3Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 4Place phyllo pastry on a work surface. Cover with a clean damp tea towel to prevent drying out. Brush a sheet with a little butter, top with second sheet. Fold in half. Top with one eighth of apple mixture and cream cheese mixture. Fold in sides and roll to enclose filling. Brush with extra butter and sprinkle with a little of the flaked almonds.Place on tray. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, apple, cream cheese mixture and almonds.
- 5Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- 6To make butterscotch sauce; combine sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until butter melts and sugar is dissolved.
- 7Place strudels on a serving plate, drizzle with sauce and serve with cream or ice cream.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Apple and Cheese Strudels
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.6
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 378.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 6.2 g