Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Amazing cake: moist and spicy. Very easy to make: just put all the ingredients it in a food processor, then bake. Freezes well.
- 453.59 g granny smith apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped. (About 3)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 44.37 ml water
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 59.14 ml almonds (chopped)
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 59.14 ml skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or mixer bowl. Blend for a few seconds until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into slices.
This is a deliciously spiced cake! And, would you believe that I didn't know you could do this sort of thing entirely in a food processor? How simple! I used the butter from cold, just chopped it into six chunks, which I tossed in. I'd like to add a caramel sauce to it , as well, for decadence! Wonderful - thanks for recommending, Mikekey! Made for Top Favourites of 2009.
WOW!!! Great cake. Very dense and moist, with wonderful flavor. Using the food processor makes it easy. I chopped the apples in the processor and then dumped everything else in. The directions didn't state what "form" the butter should be in (softened, melted, cold, etc) so I melted it. I subbed Splenda for half of the brown sugar. I may cut amount of butter in half next time, too. I think this would be just as moist without the full amount. I served this with a dollop of Ginger Yogurt.