Amazing cake: moist and spicy. Very easy to make: just put all the ingredients it in a food processor, then bake. Freezes well.
- 1 lb granny smith apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped. (About 3)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup almonds (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or mixer bowl. Blend for a few seconds until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into slices.