Recipe by Sharon123
I made Boomette's recipe for Spicy Candied Bacon(#438987) using vegetarian bacon and was blown away by how good it was! I used Morningstar but you could use this recipe with any vegetarian bacon. Enjoy, I sure did. If I had made the whole package, I would have eaten it all. I quartered the recipe and it worked great, coating the bacon nicely. I haven't tried the whole recipe, so you might want to use more or less spice mix to your desired amount of coating. Thank you for the inspiration Boomette!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Excellent! I had never even tried vegetarian bacon before so I wasn't sure what I was in store for. I was still unsure as I was taking the Morningstar veg. bacon out of the package because it didn't look like the bacon I know and love. Well guess what? I loved it and this recipe!! Maybe because of this recipe! I halved the recipe and it seemed like there was too much brown sugar/chili powder mix but I packed it on anyway and it turned out to be perfect. (I was wrong again!) The bacon turned out crispy (after setting for a bit) and the coating was so flavorul. I used mine on a toasted blt and loved every bite. Thank you for a great veg. bacon recipe. Made for Please Review my Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (the mild red kind)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 12 slices vegetarian bacon (I used Morningstar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set your oven at 300*F.
- Mix the chili powder and brown sugar in a bowl, stirring to mix completely.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or spray sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Coat both sides of the bacon well with spice mix. I patted it on.
- Lay the coated bacon on the parchment paper.
- Bake 10-15 minutes(start with 10 minutes, but you may need a few more minutes, depending on what veggie bacon you use). Remove immediately to a plate. My bacon stuck to the paper when I left it to cool and I had to heat it up to unstick it from the paper. The bacon will crisp up as it cools.