Recipe by Tea Jenny
This is a nice moist rich tea loaf, the cranberries give it a wee bit of tartness and the walnuts a bit of crunch. I used Cox pippin apples and I didn’t peel them. I have used syrup and honey and both work well. Also I chopped the walnuts.
Top Review by Rita~
I made half the recipe seeing it served 14 and we were only 2. I must say my DH ate 4 servings worth. But in fact I think this should be recalculated. The full recipe would serve 7 not 14. making this a lot more fattening! It was sweet! For those with a sweet tooth you have to make this. I did cut back the baking time to 1 hour. Very Very good! Good Luck with the RSC contest.
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75 g golden syrup or 75 g honey
- 175 g wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 200 g apples, grated
- 75 g cranberries
- 25 g walnuts
- 200 g soft cream cheese
- 30 g powdered sugar, .sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat the oven 170/325.
- Oil a 2 litre loaf pan and line with silicone paper.
- Mix together oil, sugar, eggs and golden syrup.
- Mix together in an other bowl flour, cinnamon, ginger, bicarbonate of soda.
- Grated apple, cranberries and walnuts.
- Then add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1hour 30minutes.
- Test with a skewer to see if done.
- While the cake is cooling make the topping.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth and add the sifted sugar.
- Spread over the loaf and if you wish sprinkle some walnuts on top.