Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a colorful stir-fry. The vegetables are cooked in a marvelously aromatic sauce, which combines peanuts, pine nuts, chili, coconut, coriander, and turmeric.
- 118.29 ml unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 118.29 ml pine nuts
- 9.85 ml hot chili sauce
- 177.44 ml coconut milk
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 0.25 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 44.37 ml sesame oil
- 3-4 shallots, thinly sliced (or scallions)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-2 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into fine strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into fine strips
- 118.29 ml sugar snap pea, trimmed
- 236.59 ml oyster mushroom (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 255.14 g canned chestnuts, drained
- 9.85 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- lime slice, to garnish
- To make the nut sauce, grind the peanuts and pine nuts in a blender or chop very finely.
- Put into a small pan with the hot chili sauce, coconut milk, soy sauce, ground coriander, ground turmeric, cumin, and dark brown sugar.
- Set over low heat and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside and keep warm until required.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large, heavy-bottomed skillet.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and chiles and stir-fry over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrot, bell peppers, zucchini,and sugar-snap peas to the pan and stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, chestnuts, ginger, lime rind and juice, and fresh cilantro and stir-fry briskly for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked, yet crisp.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the stir-fry among 4 warmed serving plates and garnish with slices of lime.
- Transfer the nut sauce to a serving bowl and serve immediately with the vegetables.
A a superb and VERY colourful stir-fry! I loved this - I also added green peppers and spring onions - I cut back on the oil as well. Made for ZWT 4 - thanks Sharon! FT:-)
DH made this for our dinner last night. He followed the directions as written except for leaving out the sugar snap peas and using spring onions in place of scallions. He served the nut sauce as directed and we ate it with rice. It was extremely tasty and awarded five stars by the whole family. A definite keeper. Thanks Sharon 123.
Soooo yummy!!!! I didn't have a chili pepper but used about a tablespoon the chili sauce instead. Could also be really tasty with chicken, shrimp or tofu.
Thanks for posting this Sharon!!!