Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe is from Fine Cooking. This is a delicious, amazingly flavorful dish that just screams summer is here!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 lb tomatillo, rinsed and diced small (papery covering discarded)
- 1 ripe medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt
- 4 tilapia fillets (skinless - 4 oz. each)
- Put a heatproof serving platter on a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, tomatillos, mango, red onion, lime juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, cilantro, and a few grinds of black pepper; toss gently. Let the salad sit at room temperature while you cook the fish.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoons black pepper with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and 1 teaspoons salt. Rub both sides of the fillets with the mixture. In a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook two of the fillets until lightly browned and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the fish to the platter in the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining fish. Transfer the fillets to the platter, and spoon half of the salad on top. Serve with the remaining salad on the side.
Excellent recipe! The salsa is delicious, and the fish is nicely seasoned but not overly so. I'll be making this again so I can get a photo of the beautiful colors! Thanks for sharing. Made for PRMR tag game.