1/1 Photo of Spice-Rubbed Picnic Chicken (America's Test Kitchen)
1 hr 10 mins
Saw this tonight on ATK and definately want to try it!! Placing here for easy finding later. As this recipe is for picnics, it is meant to be eaten at room temperature. Seems like a great alternative to fried chicken. (prep times are wild guesses)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs chicken, trimmed of excess fat and skin (bone-in, skin-on, breasts, thighs, drumsticks, or a mix with breasts cut into 3 pieces or halved if)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Use sharp knife to make 2 or 3 short slashes in skin of each piece of chicken, taking care not to cut into meat.
- 2Combine salt, sugar, and spices in small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- 3Coat chicken pieces with spices, gently lifting skin to distribute spice rub underneath but leaving it attached to chicken.
- 4Transfer chicken skin side up to wire rack set over rimmed foil-lined baking sheet, lightly tent with foil, and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours.
- 5Secure skin of each breast piece with 2 or 3 toothpicks placed near edges of skin.
- 6Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 7Roast chicken until thickest part of smallest piece registers 140 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 8Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees and continue roasting until chicken is browned and crisp and thickest parts of breast pieces register 160 degrees, 5 to 8 minutes longer, removing pieces from oven and transferring to clean wire rack as they finish cooking.
- 9Continue to roast thighs and/or drumsticks, if using, until thickest part of meat registers 170 to 175 degrees, about 5 minutes longer.
- 10Remove from oven; transfer chicken to rack and let cool completely before refrigerating or serving. (Meant to be eaten at room temperature).
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spice-Rubbed Picnic Chicken (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.7
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 129.3 mg
- Sodium 1886.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 32.6 g