Recipe by RigelBee
For a great gift, fill a small jar! Experiment with your own favorite spices! SOUTHWESTERN RUB: Replace some of the paprika with cumin, coriander, and chili powder. INDIAN RUB: Replace the oregano and thyme with turmeric, curry powder, ground ginger, and cardamom MEDITTERANEAN RUB: Replace some or all the oregano and/or thyme with dried tarragon, marjoram, rosemary, dill, or basil. Omit the cayenne pepper.
- 1⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, using your hands to break up the sugar. Store in an airtight container, away from heat and light, up to 6 months.
- For each pound of meat, poultry, or seafood: First coat with 2 to 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, then 1 to 2 tablespoons of spice rub.
- You can either grill foods immediately or let them sit and develop for more flavor.
- If preparing ahead of time (up to 24 hours), you can apply the rub to chicken and turkey parts, steaks, pork chops, lamb chops, ribs, brisket, or pork shoulder. (The larger the cut, the more it will benefit from a long coating time). Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
- Fish and shrimp are best grilled within an hour of rubbing.
- Rubs are great for roasting and broiling!