Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the first time I used a cedar plank for cooking fish -- and this is the best way to grill salmon as far as we're concerned (also lower fat too) - the salmon came out so moist and spiced just right -- the fish doesn't taste spicy at all. Posted for World Tour - USA - Northwest region. Recipe source: local newspaper
For the rub
- 29.58 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
For the salmon
- 4 (680.38 g) salmon fillets (I used 1 whole piece of salmon rather than the 4 small fillets)
- Soak cedar grilling plank for one hour.
- Prepare grill.
- To prepare the rub, combine all ingredients in a small cup or bowl.
- Rub mixture on the top of the salmon.
- Place plank on grill, close grill for a few minutes and then place salmon, skin side down, on the plank.
- Cook covered, for 10 minutes or until salmon flakes.
I used the spice rub (but more cayenne for personal taste) on the salmon and since I don't have a grill or the plank for the grill - I used my George Foreman, and it came out delicious! The rub made a "crust" on the fish which was superb! It's a pain to measure out all the spices, but once it's done, you realize it's worth it. Thanks for a keeper!
Seasoned and grilled as instructed. I did follow PaulaG's idea of seasoning it about an hour before cooking. We have been plank-grilling salmon for a while but this was a delicious variation. Thanks for posting ellie
Holy yum! This is excellent. Made it as instructed and it turned out perfectly. Will be making this one again and again!