Recipe by senseicheryl
I always look forward to receiving my newest Weight Watchers magazines. Not only are the articles inspiring, but the recipes always sound so delicious! I like to put them here for safe keeping until I get a chance to make them.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats, quick cooking
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (or cranberries, whatever you prefer)
- 1⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, oats, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Combine the buttermilk, cherries (or cranberries), egg substitute and oil in a small bowl, beating with a whisk until blended. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, folding with a rubber spatula just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter; sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons of cinnamon sugar and the wheat germ (I just love wheat germ, don't you?). Bake until a toothpick intserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Unmold the muffins and cool completely.