Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy yummy! From the 1950's and warm and spicy with a brown sugar icing that is butterscotchy good! I think this recipe comes from Star Bakery in Brooklyn, NY.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- coarsly chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine water and raisins in a saucepan; simmer 10 minutes. Set aside; do not drain.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and raisins and reserved liquid. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture; mix well.
- Stir in walnuts, using.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done by inserting a toothpick that comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
- To make frosting:
- Combine brown sugar, half and half and salt in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and stir until smooth,.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Stir in confectioners' sugar.
- Frost muffins; top with nuts, if desired.
These are definitely rich muffins! With all the spices I thought they might turn out really strong, but the flavor was just right. The icing is tasty but very sweet. The consistency is perfect though - it smooths out as soon as you spread it and quickly forms a crust and dries to a shiny finish. Thanks for posting!
These are the best muffins I have made! They deserve the 5 stars and more! The topping makes it. I did not add the raisins nor the nuts. I made 6 jumbo muffins - probably smaller ones are better as they are rich. I would also probably up the spices a bit and maybe add some ground ginger too..but that is my personal preference my children aboslutely guzzled these.