Recipe by justcallmetoni
A Weight Watcher recipe which is just divine. My rendition includes a lovely combination of Island Spices that will make you swoon. (3 points)
Top Review by LillyZackMom
Sorry to say I ended upp throwing this entire cake out. The allspice gave it a very unpleasant taste which those who tried a bite found out of sync with the rest of the cake and a bit overwhelming.
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 2⁄3 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour 1/3 cup of cocoa, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, coffee granules baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a hollow in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the milk, melted butter, vanilla and almond extracts. Stir until the batter is just combined. Place batter in the prepared pan.
- Combine the 1/4 cup of cocoa and brown sugar together. Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Gently pour the boiling water on top in a striped pattern. (Do not stir or mix.).
- Bake 35 minutes and cool an additional 30 minutes. Cut into 3 by 3 inch squares and serve warm or cold.