Cupcakes with a spiced, gingerbread flair with a chocolate - peanut butter filling and sweet, orange vanilla icing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (or one stick)
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (or to liking)
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 6 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, brown sugar, and spices in one bowl.
- Mix together the butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk in another bowl.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients into one bowl together.
- Spray muffin / cupcake tin with non-stick spray or use paper wrappers.
- Fill slots halfway with batter.
- Bake in the over for 20 - 25 minutes or until done.
- For the filling, wisk together the Nutella spread and peanut butter with the milk in a bowl. Then, stir in the pumpkin spice and cinnamon.
- For the icing, melt the milk and butter together in the microwave, then add confectioners sugar until the icing is thick. Mix in the food coloring until you get a pumpkin or candy corn orange.
- When the cupcakes are done, let them cool for 10 - 20 minutes.
- Core the cupcakes using and corer, peeler, spoon, or knife.
- Pipe the filling into the middle of the cupcakes using a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag with the end cut off.
- Pipe the icing on the same way, creating a little swirl on top.