Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a gluten-free recipe on Serious Eats, converted to make it non-GF. http://bit.ly/ftXyIU
Top Review by my1hunter
This taught me to look through a recipe more carefully before I start making it. There isnt any amount for the granulated sugar or brown sugar. I guessed, I was wrong and they came out like hockey pucks. Very Expensive hockey pucks. Before a recipe should be posted, it should be looked over more carefully. That goes also for anyone .about to try something.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F Line 20 muffin cavities with paper liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, vegetable oil, and eggs. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add dry ingredients. Whisk, using an electric mixer or hand-held whisk, until a smooth batter forms, about two minutes.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake cupcakes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan. Place on wire rack to cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare icing. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. Cream until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Cream until smooth. Icing should be spreadable. If needed, add an additional 1/2 tablespoon milk. Spread icing on cooled cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored for up to three days at room temperature or frozen for one month.