Recipe by Enduring Gastronomy
Pantry ingredients and basic spices transform a block of tofu into a simple meal.
Top Review by ShortieNJ
these are ok - i followed the recipe exactly, but had to cook the tofu in 2 batches because all 8 slices would not fit in the pan. the honey/citrus is overpowering, then you get a strong aftertaste of paprika...they did not get crispy as i would have liked either
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast pine nuts, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant (~2 minutes). Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Drain tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Cut crosswise into eight 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Dredge the tofu liberally with the spice mixture, coating all sides.
- In a small bowl, mix boiling water, lemon juice and honey.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add tofu and cook on one side until brown and crusty (~4 minutes). Flip and cook the other side (~3 minutes).
- Add honey mixture to the pan and quickly shake to coat the tofu. It will BUBBLE UP and EVAPORATE VERY QUICKLY.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with toasted pine nuts.