Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a fantastic recipe from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill cookbook. The steaks are packed full of spicy, rich flavors that will have you asking for more. You can make the Mesa Grill Steak Sauce ahead of time to enjoy with your steaks. Enjoy.
- 29.58 ml dried ancho chile powder
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml ground coriander
- 14.79 ml dry mustard
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 7.39 ml arbol chiles
- 14.79 ml kosher salt (plus extra to season)
- 14.79 ml black pepper, freshly ground (plus extra to season)
- 4 (1360.77 g) New York strip steaks
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- mesa grill steak sauce (Mesa Grill Steak Sauce)
- To make the spice rub, combine the ancho powder, paprika, coriander, dry mustard, oregano, cumin, chile de arbol, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the steaks with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Rub one side of each steak with about 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture.
- Grill the steaks, rub side down, until lightly charred and a crust has formed, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over the steaks and continue grilling for 5 to 6 minutes more for medium-rare; the steaks will be bright pink in the middle.
- Spoon some of the Mesa Grill steak sauce into the center of each of 4 plates and top with the steaks. Or serve the sauce on the side for dipping.
I pulled up your crusted fish with wine and found steak.
This was such a tasty steak! The sauce was good too and we'll be enjoying this recipe again & again but without the sauce. For those that love spicy/hot with a sweet side, you'll love this combination! For us, next time I'll forgo the sauce and serve this savory steak with a chunky guacamole instead.