Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A coat of flour and seasonings before roasting is one reason this ham is so delicious. We always do a ham as well as a turkey for Christmas dinner and this is the way we do it.
- 1 (8 lb) fully cooked shank-end ham
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorn (containing black, pink, white and green peppercorns, but not allspice)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
FOR MAPLE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Remove any thick skin from ham and all but about 1/8th inch layer of fat.
- MInce and mash garlic with salt to a paste.
- Coarsely grind coriander and peppercorns in a coffee/spice grinder (or in a mortar and pestle) and stir together with flour, butter and garlic paste in a bowl.
- Spread paste all over ham, then put ham, cut side down, in a greased large roasting pan.
- Bake in middle of oven until crust is golden, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Transfer to a platter and let stand 15 minutes, before slicing and serving with sauce.
- For sauce, stir together mustard and maple syrup until combined well.