Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted in response to a request for an eggless cake. From 99% Fat Free cooking.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the cake, mix the currants and boiling water and set aside.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking soda and powder together.
- Then sift spices with the flour mixture.
- Cream the sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Whisk in about 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then half of the water-currant mixture.
- Then whisk in another third of the dry ingredients and remainder of the water-currants.
- Finally, add the last third of the flour.
- Lightly spray a tube pan (Bundt) with vegetable oil spray, then pour in the batter.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Run a knife around the edges, remove cake from pan and set it on a rack.
- Prick a number of holes in it with a fork or toothpicks.
- Combine the glaze ingredients (yogurt, confectioners sugar, and 2t lemon juice) and mix until well blended.
- Spread some of the glaze evenly on the top, aloowing to drip on the sides.
- Periodically add more glaze as the cake cools and it absorbs the previous glazing's liquid.