Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great gift idea! When you use canning jar lids this cake has a shelf life of a year.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup nuts (optional)
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Cream shortening and sugar; add applesauce, water and eggs; mix well.
- Mix dry ingredients in another bowl and add to first mixture.
- Add nuts (or raisins) if desired.
- Spray wide mouth pint jars with Pam and fill about 1/2 full.
- This will fill 6 to 8 jars.
- Bake at 325 degrees exactly 45 minutes.
- Remove jars one at a time and quickly screw the lid on each jar.
- Let set until ready to eat.
My sister and I had a terrible experience with thiws recipe...maybe it's my oven, but 45 minutes produced a burned looking cake and even 5 minutes less produced a half baked cake and two toned..pale on the bottom half and dark brown on the top half...I'd be embarressed to give these as a gift..I don't recommend this cake at all...C. Sullivan