Recipe by jan in Waterloo, ON
Tasty bulk cake mix to keep on hand for those last minute after school snacks, or desserts. I found this in "Keep It Simple" 30 Minute Meals from Scratch by Marian Burros
- 8 cups unbleached flour (sifted)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups shortening
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside the shortening, it will be added later.
- In a very large bowl big enough to hold 17 cups, sift together all of the dry ingredients-- TWICE Then with a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Store in an airtight container (I use a Tupperware Modular Mate 3).
- Mix will keep for 6 months in a cool, dry place.
- The mix will make 6- 8 inch layers.
- To make 1 single layer square cake, measure 2 cups of the Spice Cake Bulk Mix into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg (beaten), molasses and boiling water.
- Add 1/2 of this molasses mixture to the Spice Cake Mix and beat until well blended.
- Add remaining liquid and beat again.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8 inch square pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on rack before removing from pan.
- A cream cheese frosting is good with this, flavour with orange rind.