Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another recipe from my grandmother that I find worthy of sharing. You can add your own touches as well, such as nuts or any dried fruit.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour milk (add 2 tbsps cider vinegar to 2 cups milk to make sour milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put the vinegar into the milk and set aside about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, grease your cake pan (I use a bunt pan) and get all other ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Combine everything once the milk has set a few minutes.
- Pour into pan and tap on the counter a few times to release the air.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
this cake was way too sweet for our liking. If I ever try it again, I will definately reduce the sugar by at least 1/2 cup.