Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Taste of Home. And old-fashioned cake that reminds me of ones my Aunt Joyce used to make.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- additional chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients; slowly heat, stirring until butter melts.
- Remove from the heat; cool.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks lightly; gradually stir in spice mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pecans; stir into spice mixture. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans.
- Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Beat in sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cake.
- Garnish with pecans if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.