1/3 Photos of Spice-Brined Turkey With Cider Pan Gravy (Cooking Light)
Chef by Chance's Note:
This is a very flavorful and moist turkey. This turkey brines overnight and I showed that time in the prep time. I used 1 cup of the brine instead of broth in the roasting pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 quarts water
- 3/4 cup kosher salt, plus
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 12 lbs turkey
- 14 ounces low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large stockpot/roasting pan and heat over medium-heat until salt is dissolved. Cool completely.
- 2Remove giblets from the turkey and place turkey into stockpot. Turn to coat, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 3Preheat oven to 450°F Rinse turkey and pat dry. Pour 1 cup of broth into roasting pan, place turkey breast up and bake for 30 minutes.
- 4Reduce oven to 350°F and continue to cook for 1 1/2 hours until thermometer placed in the meaty part of the thigh registers 165°F.
- 5Let stand 30 minutes. Remove skin.
- 6Place a ziplock bag inside a 2 cup measure. Pour drippings into the bag. Let stand for 10 minutes so the fat will rise to the top.
- 7Seal bag and snip off a corner of the bag. Drain the drippings into a measuring cup, stopping before reaching the fat layer. Reserve 1 tbsp of the fat.
- 8Combine the drippings, remaining broth, and cider in a small bowl. Place roasting pan on stove top over medium heat, scraping to loosen the browned bits. Add flour and reserved fat to pan, cook 1 minute stirring frequently. Slowly add broth mixture, stirring with a whisk. Cook until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- 9Stir in black pepper.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spice-Brined Turkey With Cider Pan Gravy (Cooking Light)
Serving Size: 1 (918 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.9
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 308.7 mg
- Sodium 8556.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 94.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth