Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
For pumpkin pie lovers, with no pumpkin to cook with!
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce, any flavor fine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine raisins (or currants) and water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in applesauce and sugar and allow to cool.
- When mixture is lukewarm, stir egg into raisin mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients (except nuts) separately, then add to wet.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spoon batter into greased 13x7x2 pan.
- Bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Frost with buttercream or butter-cream cheese mixture: 4 TB butter + 4 TB cream cheese + 1 1/2 cup vanilla powdered sugar + 1 TB nonfat milk.