Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
mulling spice is often packed loose in small bags or packages..you will need about 2 tbls mulling spice for this recipe
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut, toasted
- in a small saucepan, combine coconut milk and mulling spice.
- Bring just to boiling; reduce heat to low.simmer, covered over low heat for 5 minutes.
- strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve; discard mulling spice.
- reserve 2 tbls of the spiced coconut milk mixture, cover and chill for use in frosting.
- add chopped dates to remaining mixture -- cover date mixture and set aside.
- for cookie dough.
- in a large mixing bowl, beating shortenig and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- add granulated sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; beat until combined.
- beat in eggs until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can.
- stir in any remaining flour.
- stir in the date mixture.
- cover and chill for 2-4 hours or until easy to handle.
- preheat oven to 375*.
- shape dough into 1" balls.
- place balls 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool.
- meanwhile to prepare frosting -- in a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and reserved coconut milk mixture.
- add enough milk (1-2 tsps) to make a frosting of desired consistency.
- spread or drizzle cooled cookies with frosting.if desired.sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- to store cookies, place them in layers seperated by waxed paper in an airtight container, cover.
- store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze unfrosted cookies up to 3 minths.
- thaw cookies and then frost.