Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a dish typical to the Pilion region of mainland Greece. It is hearty winter fare, and much loved at the tavernas catering to skiers.
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarse
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs spicy country sausage, cut into thick slices (if you can access greek sausage, all the better)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped coarse
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped with juice
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 dash cayenne
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan or skillet, sauté the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5-8 minutes stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add sausage, peppers, chopped tomato and juice, and garlic, and stir until all ingredients are well mixed. Stir in wine and cayenne, and season to taste. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon onto serving plates and serve warm. A favorite with rice or mashed potatoes.