Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A yummy, nutritious recipe I found on the internet. We don't eat enough alternate grains!
Spelt with Sesame and Bok Choy
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole spelt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bok choy, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin julienne strips
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted cashews
- Preparation: In a saucepan, heat one tablespoon of the canola or corn oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and sauté for five minutes or until the onion softens.
- Add the three cups water and a pinch of salt, and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the spelt, turn the heat to low, and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, three tablespoons of water, the rice wine, and cornstarch.
- About ten minutes before the spelt is done, heat a wok or large skillet (preferably non-stick) with the remaining tablespoon of canola or corn oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and bok choy and turn the heat to high.
- Stir for for two to three minutes, then add the red pepper and the soy-cornstarch mixture.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat back down to medium, and simmer the vegetables for eight minutes.
- Stir the vegetables, and add the tofu and the sesame oil.
- Toss gently.
- Spoon the spelt onto the plates, then spoon the choy- tofu mixture over the grain.
- Sprinkle the plates with the chopped cashews, and serve.
I used freekah as I did not have spelt. I really liked this recipe but I got a mixed review from some of the others. Next time I would bake the tofu first.