Recipe by **Jubes**
This is a quick and simple bread to make. East it while it is still warm or on the same day. Just mix and bake as this bread has no yeast. This recipe is not gluten free
Top Review by CountryMama
I tried this when I was on a wheat and yeast-free diet and it turned out well. Used vanilla almond milk instead of milk or soymilk. I found it a little salty, so I would cut the amount of salt a bit next time, but otherwise it definitely satisfied a bread craving!
- 500 g spelt flour (1 lb)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml milk (1/2 pint) or 300 ml use a good soymilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 425°F.
- Sift and mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk and mix to a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place on an oiled baking tray.
- Cut a 2.5cm (1 inch) cross onto the top of the dough. This will allow the bread to be broken easily after baking.
- Cover the loaf with a deep cake tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and eat either warm or while the bread is still fresh.