Recipe by Missy Wombat
Spelt is an old cereal developed from the original wheat varieies of einkorn and emmer.Hildegard of Bingen, the 12th century abbess and mystic, regarded spelt as the best cereal
- 50 g butter
- 150 g fine spelt flour
- 4 eggs
- 150 g farmer cheese
- 1⁄4 cup whipped cream
- basil leaves
- 1⁄2 clove pressed garlic, juice from
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 250 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 250 ml salted water to he boil with the butter.
- Tip in he spelt flour and stir vigorously until the batter has thickened and is pulling away from the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slowly stir in the eggs.
- The dough should stick to the mixing spoon.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- With an icing bag pipe small balls of dough on to the parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Do NOT open the oven door while baking.
- Then mix the farmer's cheese and the cream together.
- chop he basil finely and add to the cheese and cream, then add the garlic juice.
- Season to taste with the coarse salt and lemon juice.
- Leave the pastry puffs to cool.
- slit each one open and fill with the cheese mixture and replace any dough that has been removed once they are full.