Recipe by Spud Nut
Makes 2 pie crusts. The secret to flaky crust is to mix the dough just enough to incorporate the ingredients then stop. Often I add a dash of vinegar in the ice water, it's a matter of personal preference.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
Definitely a flakey crust and it tastes great. I used half for a crust but it ends up being a very thin crust and next time I would use the entire batch for one thicker crust as it is too thin and flakey unless you keep it in the tin.
- 2 cups spelt flour (white or whole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold organic butter
- 1⁄3 cup cold organic shortening
- 5 -7 tablespoons ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with pastry knife until pieces are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in 1 tbsp water at a time. Gently mix. Repeat until all is moist and forms a ball.
- For 2 pie crusts, cut ball in half - one for each pie crust.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten ball with rolling pin and roll to desired thickness.
- Transfer to pie tin or this dough also may be filled with meats/or fruit.