Tasty and healthful. They're very moist and will change your opinion about spelt! I often change the fruit I add to this recipe, depending upon what I have. Shredded carrot and raisin is a great combo, or crystalized ginger and pear, or apple walnut, etc. Recipe works well without the banana, too.
- 2 1⁄3 cups spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten or 2 egg substitute
- 1 ripe banana, mashed in a pyrex measuring cup
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce or 1⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, applesauce or yogurt, vanilla, honey, and buttermilk to the mashed banana.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir. Do not overmix.
- Combine the fruit and nuts with the batter.
- Fill oiled muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle tops of muffins with additional flax seed meal and bake for 15-20 minutes.