This recipe is sooooo easy to make and gives you a very rustic, dense, hearty and healthy loaf of bread with a crunchy crust. It can easily be modified by e.g. using partly whole rye flour, different types of muesli or adding in seeds or nuts. I hope youll enjoy this as much as we do! :) Please note: 1 1/2 hours of rising time are not included in cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g whole spelt flour (~2 cups)
- 100 g muesli
- 150 spelt flour (I used type 630, which is the finest you can get)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (17 g) packet cream of tartar (the packet will say something like enough for 500 g/4 cups of flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sourdough starter (liquid)
- 300 ml water
- oil, for brushing the loaf
- 1Place all the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Add the starter and water and knead into a smooth dough. You might need to add some liquid or flour to get it to the right consistency. It should be soft, but very workable.
- 2Place your dough in a greased standard loaf pan (I used a silicone one, so no need for greasing there) and allow the loaf to rise for 1 1/2 hours at a warm spot (I simply put my loaf pan onto the heater in the living room).
- 3Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F and place an oven-proof bowl of water at the bottom of your oven.
- 4Bake the loaf at 220°C/425°F for 15 minutes. Take the loaf out of the oven and quickly brush the top with some oil. Return to oven. If the bread is already nicely browned, you might want to cover it with some baking paper to prevent overbrowning.
- 5Reduce the heat to 200°C/390°F and bake the bread for another 30 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- 6Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spelt Muesli Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2566.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 43.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: