You can find Spelt flour at most stores that sell bulk grains or at health food stores. The amount of water you add will determine the thickness of your end product, from a pancake to a crepe. They work well as a wrap or cut into wedges and toasted in the oven, it makes great chips for a humus dip. You can change the spices to fit your taste. For a little variety, try adding a little brown sugar or honey instead of the onions, oregano and garlic. Just remember, you'll be eating what the Roman Legions ate as their dietary staple!
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add the liquids, garlic and oregano.
- For a thinner batter, add water as needed.
- Mix well.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle or pan and oil or spray.
- Ladle the batter onto the griddle and as it cooks, sprinkle the chopped onions on the top side.
- When bubbles appear on the surface and the center sets-up, flip over and cook till the edges start to dry and the center is firm.