Recipe by magpie diner
This was the first recipe I used in a bread machine and I'm pretty pleased with the results. The original recipe comes from a local organic flour mill and called for 1 beaten egg, which I replaced with Ener-g.
Top Review by Annacia
What a lovely bread. It has a very thin crisp crust and a moist soft inside. I thought that I had enough spelt but was a bit short so I made up the difference with about 1/3 cup of kamut. I used the dough cycle and made buns because it's hard for me to use a loaf before it goes off. This has been added to my make again list. :D
- 3⁄4 cup water, warm
- 1 beaten egg (won't accept ener-g as a recognized ingredient, but that's what I used with success)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups light spelt flour (white)
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients to machine's mixing pan in the order listed.
- Use 2 lb loaf setting, for whole wheat. Altho, I find the basic setting on mine works well with the light spelt. My machine also comes close to burning the bottom so I set the browning to light. You know your settings best.
- Let the loaf rest on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before slicing.