Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe for bread made with an alternative grain to wheat.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups spelt flour
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in water with honey and oil. Add salt and 1 1/2 cups spelt flour.
- Beat well for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rest in warm place for approsimately 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Add remaining flour, turning onto floured board to knead.
- Knead until smooth, adding flour if necessary.
- Place in oiled loaf pan and cover with damp cloth.
- Let rise in warm place until doulbe in size (approximately 30 minutes).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
I actually made this in my bread machine on the grain setting and it did pretty good. I also added 1/4c of each sunflour and flax seeds. It turned out a very dense loaf, but I didn't mind that. It lacked a bit of flavour, so next time I am going to try increasing the salt to 1-1/2 tsp to see if that helps a bit.