1/2 Photos of Spelt Bread
Shannon 24's Note:
This is my Grandad's recipe for bread, normally it calls for half white flour and half whole wheat flour, but as my son has a wheat allergy, I substituted both flours for Spelt flour. Spelt flour is an ancient grain and can be used in place of white flour. It can be found in most Health food stores. Enjoy! Editor's Note: Spelt is an ancient wheat that has recently been marketed as safe for wheat-allergic individuals. Wheat-allergic patients can react to spelt as they do to common wheat. Please consult with your health care provider to ensure spelt is appropriate for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a cup, combine 3/4 cup of warm water, 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tbsp of yeast. Set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine 2 2/3 cup of warm water, salt and oil.
- 3Add half flour and yeast mixture.
- 4Stir well.
- 5Add remaining flour and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 200 degrees and then turn off.
- 7Grease an ovenproof bowl and place dough in it. Let rise in oven. Punch dough down.
- 8Divide into three, place into three greased loaf pans, poke holes in loaves and let rise again.
- 9Bake 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spelt Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1059 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.1
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2336.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: