Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my Grandad's recipe for bread, normally it calls for half white flour and half whole wheat flour, but as my son has a wheat allergy, I substituted both flours for Spelt flour. Spelt flour is an ancient grain and can be used in place of white flour. It can be found in most Health food stores. Enjoy! Editor's Note: Spelt is an ancient wheat that has recently been marketed as safe for wheat-allergic individuals. Wheat-allergic patients can react to spelt as they do to common wheat. Please consult with your health care provider to ensure spelt is appropriate for you.
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 2⁄3 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 tablespoons oil
- 9 cups spelt flour
- In a cup, combine 3/4 cup of warm water, 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tbsp of yeast. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 2/3 cup of warm water, salt and oil.
- Add half flour and yeast mixture.
- Stir well.
- Add remaining flour and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and then turn off.
- Grease an ovenproof bowl and place dough in it. Let rise in oven. Punch dough down.
- Divide into three, place into three greased loaf pans, poke holes in loaves and let rise again.
- Bake 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
This bread turned out GREAT!!! Two large loaves of bread and used the third dough to make braided sausage bread. I did add three large pinches of granulated lecithin to the water in the bowl step #2. I did the 5 cups whole spelt and 4 cups white spelt sifted. Kneaded only 5mins. because dough was ready and spelt is very touchy about being over kneaded.The best spelt bread recipe I've made. This recipe does not deserve the two star rating just because wheat-allergy statement recipe. The poster makes it very clear to be responsible for your own health and ask the Dr. I would give this recipe more than 5 stars if possible 10 stars!!
This is a great recipe for beginners. The dough is so easily workable. The first time I made it with all spelt flour and it was so easy to work with. However, the finished product was a bit on the crumbly side. The second time I used this recipe I used half spelt and half bread flour and the finished product was Awesome!! Thanks so much for this great recipe.
Great tasting and easy to make bread! I make this for myself all the time now. It doesn't rise very well, but it is very hearty, and has a taste I really love. Though it doesn't say, I myself use olive oil for the oil, and I like the taste that gives.