Recipe by steinwaypianoman
This is a spelt bread recipe I love that I got from a Britsh site. I've baked it twice and it comes out great. Do not bake in a bread machine.... the machine's timing is all off for spelt. Bread machine timing is based on Wheat flour. Regards, Mark Ferwerda of Stuttgart, Germany Ingredients provided in metric and regular U.S.
- 1 kg spelt flour (2.25 lbs)
- 25 g fresh yeast (1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1 tsp)
- 600 ml warm water (1 pint, 35-40)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 tbs)
- 15 g sesame seeds (1/2 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend the yeast into half the water and roughly mix into the flour.
- Dissolve the salt in the remaining warm water and add to the flour.
- Add the oil and mix the dough thoroughly for four minutes using a wooden spoon then cover and leave to rise for 1 hour.
- Knead dough again then oil two 1Ib loaf tin & divide dough between them.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, cover and leave to rise for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Cook in an oven pre-heated to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 for 30 - 35 minutes.