Recipe by Rita~
A legacy of Dutch colonialism, this "thousand layer cake" is often served after the rijsttafel but will do equally well served with the coffee or tea. This is a very rich cake and should be served in thin slices. I found this at Indochef.com I've made something like this years ago. (This is optional) Spread a thin layer of warmed jam and every 2 layers and spread chocolate after the next 2 layers of batter was baked. Be sure to stay with the cake as you cook it. My picture show of the cake made in a 10 inch so you'll get more layers when baking in a 9 inch. This is also great without the spices and just the jam and chocolate layers.
- 226.79 g butter, softened
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 10 large eggs, separated
- 0.25 ml salt
- 295.73 ml flour, sifted
- 29.58 ml confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground aniseed
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 4.92 ml flour
- 118.29 ml jam, of choice warmed in microwave oven (optional)
- 85.04 g chocolate (optional)
- 44.37 ml butter (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Line the bottom of a buttered 9" springform pan with wax paper and butter the wax paper.
- Optional Chocoate layer:.
- Melt chocolate and 3 tablespoon butter and mix to blend, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream 2 sticks butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs yolks a few at a time.
- In another large bowl, using clean dry beaters, beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff. Fold into yolk mixture. Fold in flour.
- Divide batter between two bowls.
- Mix the spice mixture together.
- Add the spice mixture to one bowl of batter and mix in well.
- Pour about ½ cup of the spice batter into the pan, spreading to form a thin (crepe to pancake thickness) layer. Place pan under a preheated broiler (oven grill) for 2 minutes, or until the layer is firm and very lightly browned. Spread ½ cup of the plain batter over the top and broil until firm. Spread the optional 1/4 cup warmed jam if using. Repeat layering spice batter then plain batter then spread 1/4 cup melted chocolate topping with the spice batter. Be careful spreading the batter. Broil till lightly browned following with plain batter and repeat till all batter and fillings are used.
- Let cake chill to firm chocolate and jam, then remove from pan. Bring to room temperature.
- Sprinkle top with confectioners sugar. Serve in thin slices.