Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
"Baking" the potatoes in the microwave will save you at least 45 minutes in prep time. This is a very basic recipe that can be embellished to suit your taste and the ingredients you have on hand. Some suggested additions are bacon bits, sour cream or plain yogurt, chives and roasted garlic.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and prick holes in them with a fork. Microwave for 5 minutes. Flip potatoes over and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. Test for doneness with a fork and cook longer if necessary.
- Cut each potato in half longways. With a spoon, carefully scoop out as much pulp as possible into a large bowl.
- Add butter, black pepper and garlic salt. Pour in half of the milk and beat mixture with an electric mixer. Gradually add the remaining milk – you may not need it all, or you may need to add a little more! They should be the consistency of fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Fill potato shells with mixture and top with the shredded or sliced cheese. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Place on baking sheet covered with foil for easy clean up. Bake at 425 degrees F until cheese melts (approx. 15-20 minutes).