Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 granny smith apples
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen squash, thawed
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and sage.
- Cook for 3 minutes to soften.
- Reserve 1/4 of apple for garnish.
- Peel, core and finely chop the remaining apple.
- Add to onion mixture with broth and water.
- Heat and allow to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add squash and ginger to apple mixture.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In 2 batches, puree soup mixture until smooth.
- Stir in milk and re-heat over low heat.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Garnish each with thin slices of reserved apple.