Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My dh doesnt care for basil so I searched for an alternative and found this one!
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, well-washed and stemmed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat leaf
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, not canned
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients into food processor and process to a fine paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and transfer to a glass container and top with a thin coat of olive oil to prevent the top of the pesto from discoloring.
- Keeps for weeks in the refrigerator.
Very good sauce for pasta and pizzas. I found I needed a good amount more salt and pepper than the recipe calls for. Also, because spinach doesn't have a hint of sweetness the way basil can, I added a drop or two (literally) of Vanilla. That just about did it.
Sorry to keep picking on you but your recipes are soooo good. I don't have an herb garden and to buy those little plastic packaged herbs at the market is so expensive when you need two cups. Spinach is the favored veggie in our house so I thought, "why not?" This was really terrific served tossed with some linguine and grilled shrimp.
Delicious- used small amount of basil rather than parsley. Thanks x