Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes a big batch of chile that freezes well. The bottled salsa gives instant flavour without a long simmering time.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 (19 ounce) canschile style tomatoes or 2 (19 ounce) cansspicy red pepper style tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup salsa, you choose the heat strength
- 1 cup canned corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can kidney beans
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Dice onion and celery and add to pot.
- Sprinkle garlic,chile powder, and cumin over beef.
- Stir in onion and celery and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, water,,salsa,and corn.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans and add to pot.
- Cook covered until beans are tender-about 5 minutes.
Wow! This was soooo good! Perfect for a cold day. We love spicy foods. I used medium salsa. It was perfect for our tastes. Chili is a favorite here, and the extra spice made it all the better. We topped with sour cream and tex-mex cheese.