Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
This sounds like a quick and easy way of experimenting with new flavors. I found the recipe in the Spring 2008 copy of BBC Easy Cook magazine. The recipe says that it is suitable for freezing.
- 12 1⁄2 ounces frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces dried apricots, halved
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with garlic if possible
- 1 ounce sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Fry the meatballs in oil for 10 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked.
- Remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook for a further 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the apricots, cinnamon and tomatoes.
- Half fill the empty can with water and add to the pan, then bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the almonds and cilantro.
As I often do with ercipes that require a lot of tomatoes (whether as chopped, sauced or 'pasted') I added a bit of baking soda here along with everything else! Absolutely enjoyed this sauce, what with the cinnamon & apricots! Will definitely make these again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed while with ZWT6]
These were great meatballs. Really easy to fix and went over great with the family. I kept thinking maybe a "tad" of Splenda (or sugar) could be added, to cut down the acidity of the tomatoes. Thanks so much- really "dresses up" plain meatballs. Made for ZWT6 and the Xtra Hot Dishes.